Friday, February 12, 2010

Bicycle

Ever since I came to Khon Kaen I've been dealing with staring and looks of disbelief when I WALKED to work. It's about a 20 minute walk. But nobody walks here. EVERYBODY has a scooter. Nobody even rides a bike. Even though everybody wears T-shirts "Save the planet" and the university has loads of ecoprojects and stuff. (I sort of understand that now when it's getting closer to summer here). So around New year I got a call from I guy who works at the same school who I saw only TWICE who said he got me a bike for Christmas. Now, if that doesn't spell weird I don't know what does. I hardly know him and he gets me a bike...That's a pretty big present for somebody you just met. I actually thought it was a joke first but then realized it wasn't. But he didn't actually give it to me for another MONTH - couldn't organize delivery. That's also a bit strange - you go to all the trouble of getting a bike and then you don't hand it over for a month?
But now I got a bike! I have to be honest I haven't been using it much..it's pretty scary here - the whole driving on the left doesn't come naturally to me..but I'm practising! I've got loads of bruises to prove it too. My first ride was quite an embarassment really - I got double the usual staring..Now it's getting a bit better. Hope to master it soon so I won't have to be under this scorching sun for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment