Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Food again

It actually happens to me quite often here with food that I do something and just as I've done it I realize that's not what you're supposed to do.
For example, there is this new place I recently discovered. I passed it a few times, saw people eating and thought it was pretty cool. Basically, there is a pot on each table with some sort of broth boiling in it and you order things you want to put in it - fish, meat, prawns, mushrooms, veggies, noodles etc. So you get those things raw and you sort of cook your own soup. But this I found out only after I ordered. First I tried to ask what's on the menu but because the girl spoke some English but couldn't explain all the things she just brought out all the raw stuff. I just took some prawns and fish, ordered some fried rice and that's it. I only cooked the fish and prawns in the broth and ate it with the rice. Right after I did that I realized that was a big waste.

The second time I was smarter-I ordered noodles and veggies and stuff to make a noodle soup. I got two types of noodles - rice and egg. I put my chicken and prawns and veggies into the broth and right after I dumped the rice noodles in I thought - oh-oh, you're definitely not meant to do that. Explanation: rice noodles are those transparent noodles, and I'd cooked them at a cooking course so I should have figured this out but I didn't: you're meant to pour hot broth over them because they don't actually need to be cooked - they are soaked in water beforehand so they just need to pick up a bit of flavour. But if you put them in a pot like I did they become very thick and sticky and it's very hard to fish them out of there.. But I did it and in the end I really enjoyed the meal! So live and learn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment