Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Food

I guess I never realized how sloppy I am when it comes to eating. I guess it all comes from playing with my food when I was a kid. Today I decided to explore a new place to eat around me so once again I got a good bit of staring. And a bit of giggling as well... I ordered grilled fish. That was a bit of an adventure in itself - first I looked it up in my phrasebook then I had to compare all the weird little scribbles that make Thai to find it in the menu so I could point at it and so order. When I got the fish I decided to explore it to find out how it's cooked because it's absolutely delicious. So I started poking at it with my fork and spoon (for those of you who don't know - Thais don't have knives), as well I put the stuff it's stuffed with in my mouth to figure out what herbs those were. This must have convinced the lady who worked there that I was a totally hopeless farang, because she literally ran up to me, turned the fish around, lifted the skin with the spoon so I could see how I was supposed to eat it. All I could do was smile...
Then she brought a sauce for the fish. A habbit I got here is to try every sauce a little bit to make sure it's not too spicy. This one was. As I gulped down some Coke with what I thought was a pretty casual expression, not showing how my mouth was BURNING at that moment, I caught the stare of the lady again. A few seconds later she came back with just plain soy sauce. But to make it clear I DID eat the fish with the spicy sauce. When in Thailand, you know... Turns out you don't really feel the chilli when it's mixed with the fish but you feel the lovely taste that goes perfectly with the fish.
After finishing one side of the fish I decided to flip it over to get to the other. Seconds after doing that I realized you're probably meant to do something else.. I saw the lady with the boy-waiter looking at me and giggling this time..

No comments:

Post a Comment